Monday, February 15, 2010

First litter of the new year!

Today I woke up to 9 Mini Lops babies by my reliable doe, Silent Spring's Jessa! She's a really pretty steel doe with 2 legs that's been throwing some absolutely gorgeous babies for me. Her sister, Jana, placed 8th of of over 40 SSD's at this year's ARBA Convention in youth and has went to live with my friend Qadoshyah of Hoppin' Herd of Hares.

The sire is a broken chestnut buck that I brought in this summer, Velotta's Blake, a Grand Champion with 8 legs and a proven producer. In fact, my friend Tricia had shown one of Blake's sons at Convention and he ended up placed in the top ten (I think 5th!) out of over 40 BJB's in open!

There are 5 brokens and 4 solids. Most of them are steels and chesnuts but two of them are a bit of a mystery! I know Blake carries dilute but I had no idea Jessa carried any fun recessives. I'll have to give these babies a few days to grow some fur before I try to guess at their color!

- Michael
www.silentspringsrabbitry.com

No comments: